Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Case of the Terrible Two's

So the terrible two's came early this year for Riley. Her 2nd Birthday isn't until the end of the month, but for the past week Riley has been getting an early start on that terrible two stage!! It's as if she knows she has a birthday coming up and she's playing the part. Lately, she's been nothing but tantrums, disobeying and saying "No." I honestly don't remember the other kids being this bad. (Or maybe I've just blocked it out.) She walks around like she owns the place and she's in charge. But then again she can be my little snuggly Rye-Pie with big hugs and kisses.
So with her birthday coming up we've known for a long time exactly what we're going to get her. I've had it for a week sitting in a box in my garage just waiting and waiting for the 27th to roll around. We got her one of those little cars that you can push around like a stroller. She's seen a couple kids in the neighborhood with them and LOVES them. So it was the natural choice seeing as how she's loves to go on walks with mom and dad almost every night. But I know that warm walking weather is limited. And we decided that it's better to give it to her now so she can get more use out of it before snow falls. So we couldn't take it anymore and decided to give it to her today. So Josh got it out of the box, put it all together and the time had come for Riley to come outside to see her new present. The whole family was calling Riley outside, so and I walked her out with my camera, so excited to see her reaction. Finally, she was going to get her very own. She took one look at it and this is what she did...

She threw a tantrum right there in the driveway. She wouldn't even sit in it. We tried to lure her towards it by showing her all the features including the honking horn, but she wasn't having any of it. We pushed it back into the garage thinking she'd get up and run toward it and have a change of heart, but this is all she did...

She just laid there. She didn't care. Perhaps we caught her at bad time, she was having a bad day, or she just wasn't in the mood. Or perhaps this is what's in store for me for the next year. A couple hours later we attempted again and this time...

She loved it! I knew she would. She didn't want to get out. She honked her horn the entire lap around the neighborhood with a huge smile on her face. I'm glad we gave it to her early so she can get some use out of it before it gets too cold. It's a good thing she's so cute, otherwise I don't know what I'd do with her!

6 comments:

Julie Ann said...

I am truly laughing out loud!! Is this a sign of teenage years to come!! :) I love that post. You made me smile. Good luck with the terrible twos. However, with a birthday of Sept. 27th she has got to be an incredible person!!!

Teri said...

That's pretty funny! I've never seen those toys, they look fun.

Caroline said...

thats great, I wonder what made her react like that, maybe she was embarassed or something. yeah your luckey she is cute or else you would have a big problem.

The Morton's said...

My pediatrician once told me that the terrible twos actually start once they BEGIN the second year at 12 months!(I"m starting to feel it already at our house!) So when you look at it that way, she's a late bloomer.:-) Maybe she will get thru it more quickly than the others! The car looks like fun. Smart idea to get it out while we still have good weather left!

Brooke Campbell said...

That is so cute, don't you just love those tantrums! It's always so lovely when they decide to throw one out in Public, like at a store in the parking lot or some other crazy place! She is such a doll.

Melinda said...

Yeah! I am not the only one posting my daughter's tantrum on my blog! I love how they have to do it on their own terms. My little one loves to say "NO BROTHER!" repeatedly if she thinks either one of them are doing something they shouldn't. I can't help but laugh at her but that is probably not the best parenting technique!